Thursday, March 14, 2013

Life is Too Short for One Hair Color by Connie E Sokol


 
Connie Sokol has become one of my favorite writers. I love her sense of humor and take on life. This book is put together by the newspaper articles that she writes, so each page or two is a new topic and story about surviving being a woman, wife and mother. And the title is literally how I live my life! I know it seems like I am reading the same kind of books over and over, but I feel like I almost need this daily reminder to relax and just enjoy being a woman and mom. I love my daughter, but sometimes I forget to really enjoy her and remember to have a sense of humor at the crazy things she is doing because she is 2!

Here are my favorite quotes:
"There are two types of guilt: healthy and pointless. Healthy guilt prompts you to change wrong behavior. Pointless guilt prompts you to eat a box of Ho-Ho's."

"Let go of unnecessary control and reclaim normaldom."

"Neal A Maxwell once said that we are here to learn how to taste of the bitter cup without becoming bitter."

"It means that you will think twice before you sacrifice the self-esteem of another person for a Home and Garden appearance."
(This quote/chapter was great. Talks about kids or husbands helping with chores and instead of constantly telling them how to do it or how to fix it let them do their best and praise them for it.)

"What matters is to occasionally give up the agenda."
(When I die my headstone will read "What is the plan?". Is anybody else like this? I always want to know what the plan is, what is going to happen next, what are we going to do or get done. If we are not going to do anything...that is fine too...but I need to know that not doing anything was the plan! I hate being late and joke that my husband is in his own time zone and it really gets me. But more often then not everything works out and if we are late the world doesn't end. Just relax a little Cheryl!)

"In our children's emotional development, being an example of growth is more positively life changing than pretending false perfection."  

1 comment:

  1. Pretty sure most of my guilt is the "eat a box of Ho-Hos" kind, only I just eat ice cream!

    ReplyDelete