Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Work and the Glory by Gerald N. Lund

 
The Work and the Glory is a nine part series written by Gerald N Lund. I have just finished the first 2 books, Pillar of Light and Like a Fire is Burning. These books take a fictional family and place them back in the 1800's at real historical events. The author tells, "as accurately as possible, the story of Joseph Smith and the rise of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints." The first book starts in 1827 after Joseph Smith saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and is waiting to receive the gold plates, that is now the Book of Mormon and the second book takes you all the way to the first temple being built and dedicated in 1836.  It has always been amazing to me the faith the first members of the church had. To join an unknown church lead by a farm boy who saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and translated golden plates.  It seems like such a crazy story but once you know, you know! I am so thankful to be living in a time and place now where I can openly be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and not fear for my life. I am not getting kicked out of my home, losing my property or being abused for my beliefs.  I am thankful for my ancestors who joined the church and passed on a legacy to me that I am proud of.  

No comments:

Post a Comment